Welcome

I'm Jessica, wife, mom and photographer. This is my personal blog where I'll talk about my life, my children, photography, and my upcoming journey of being a surrogate mother. I'm a little scatterbrained when it comes to writing so hopefully I wont confuse everyone who's reading!

*Images in blog header by Alicja Burnette Photography*

Want to see what I've been up to with my photography business? Click here to see: www.CadenaPhotography.com

Favorite Photo of the Week

Favorite Photo of the Week
Grandpa Paul's sweet tea. No one makes it quite like he does. One of the many reasons I look forward to Sunday dinners at my grandparents house<3

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Car Seat Safety

   If you know me, you knew this was coming! I'm CRAZY about car seat safety! I didn't use to be, because I didn't take the time to educate myself and the seriousness of keeping my children safe in the things they use the most.

I have this posted on Facebook, but the information is so great, I decided to just copy and paste it here.

Here are some basic tips on car seat safety... that every parent needs to know.

1) The straps should be flat, untwisted against the child's body. This disperses the force of the crash along their whole body and not just parts.

2) The chest clip is just that...a CHEST clip. It should be armpit level. It is not a belly clip. Having the clip too low can cause damage to the internal organs that are not protected by the soft tissue of the belly.


3) The straps should be tight enough that you can only fit a finger between the strap and the shoulder of the child. You want your child to be secure in the seat. If the straps are too loose the child could slide out of the seat and be ejected from the car in an accident.

4) Strap placement. If your child is rear facing the straps should be at OR below the shoulders. If your child is forward facing the straps should be at OR above the shoulders. Whichever is closest to your child's shoulders. This does NOT mean if your forward facing child's shoulders are just above the 2nd harness slots, that you should have the straps in the very top! This means that the straps should be in the 3rd slots! Too much slack in the harness and again, your child could be ejected from the car in an accident. 

5) You seat should be installed firmly. No more than 1 inch of movement at the belt path...meaning where the seat belt or latch belts go through the seat for installation. Not sure if your seat is install right? Find a local tech for them to check your seat! ( go to www.seatcheck.org put in your zip code and it will find a tech in your area! Or you can call 1-866-SEAT-CHECK)

6) No bulky clothing or winter coats while in the car seat. It can interfere with how tight the straps are. Thick puffy clothes can compress in an accident leaving the straps far too loose. You can use a blanket in the car instead, and put their coat on when you get out if too cold.

7) Laws regarding car seats are MINIMUMS! Many places the law states that a child must be 1 year AND 20lbs to be forward facing but with so many seats that rear face to 40-45lbs why turn them around before you have to?

8) and probably the most important.....READ YOUR CAR SEAT MANUAL! It has very useful information in it.

Many people also do not realize that there are seats that accommodate a rear facing child other than the infant carrier. These seats are called convertible car seats. They typically rear face and then forward face. You should stay away from the 3 in 1 seats however. They typically have a lower harness weight and make poor boosters.

Now, PLEASE, after reading this make sure you buckle your child into the car seat the RIGHT way. I hate seeing twisted straps, chest clips WAY too low, and big bulky jackets on the kids. 

Take the time to educate yourself about car seat safety! The things you can learn can literally be the difference between life and death. Seriously, I thought I knew all there was to know about car seats, then I took the time to learn, and I'm still learning new things everyday. Your child and their safety is worth it right? Taking the time to better inform yourself about car seat safety isn't too difficult :)


*FACT: Motor vehicle crashes are the #1 killer of children from ages 1 to 14.  About 50% of these deaths to children under 5 involved children that were unrestrained.  Of those that were restrained, misuse is reported in 80-95% of cases.  Injuries requiring hospitalization are even more common, and many involve the head, neck, and spine.  Some of these injuries are permanent.  Child restraints are VERY effective for reducing deaths and injuries.

*FACT: Rear-Facing IS safest.  It is best to remain rear-facing to the weight and height limits of the carseat.  Some convertible carseats have 30, 35, 40 & 45 pound rear-facing limits.  In all cases, infants should be rear-facing until they are BOTH one year AND twenty pounds at the very minimum.  The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children be kept in rear-facing seats for as long as possible.

   Children should be in an appropriate safety seat until they are about 8 years old, unless they are already 4 feet and 9 inches or taller.  After that, they should be properly seated with a lap and shoulder belt.  Children 12 and under should remain in the rear seat.  All passengers should wear lap AND shoulder belts at all times.

   Like most parents who don't know, I took car seat safety for granted. When my son was 11 month old, I put him in a front facing car seat. I had no idea what kind of danger I was putting him in. I've been there, then a mommy in a group on Myspace opened my eyes to all the dangers of improper car seat use. I am forever grateful for her and the many others who helped me learn how to keep my children safe every time we take a trip in the car.

There is a TON of information out there to help you, if you're lost and don't know where to look, leave a comment here and I'll do my best to help you find what you're looking for. If I can't help you, I'll find someone who can!

Sites with great information regarding Car Seat Safety:
http://www.car-safety.org/ & http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html
http://www.carseat.org/
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/CPS

Boosters are for BIG KIDS! Is your child ready for a booster seat? Take this 5 step test:
http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.pdf

Seat recall list: 
http://www.seatcheck.org/tips_seat_recall_list.html

Car Seat Buying Guide:
http://www.car-safety.org/guide.html

I'm serious guys, it take only a few extra seconds to properly secure your child in their car seats. Do it right, and keep them safe.

I have lots of car seat crazy mommy friends (and some car seat crazy daddies too!), if any of you have info you would like to chime in with, I'd LOVE for you to post it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment